Friday 18 November 2011

A Plea

I’VE HAD ENOUGH!
I can’t take this anymore! Just give me it baaaaaack! Take everything else and give me it BACK!
Someone has taken my cine-pass. It’s a small plastic rectangle of wonderment, having given me much cinematic pleasure over the years. I turn to it in times of need. I think of it as a friend. And now it’s gone.
Some thoughtless idiot stole my purse last weekend, and in it was my cine-pass. I pay monthly for my cinema, you see, in order that I can grace the theatre seats of my local picture house whenever I please. I also lost my bank cards, driver’s license, student and library cards, all of which have to be replaced. But none of that matters. I’ve lost my cine-pass.
In this time of despair, I turn to fond memories; Showing up impromptu and ending up watching The Troll Hunter, only to sit perplexed and mildly astounded, thinking, ‘What the hell is this?’; Heading straight to the dark warmth of the cinema after one too many gins the night before to let the mindless sentiment of It’s Complicated wash over my pounding headache (thank you, Meryl.); Reluctantly opting for the cheesily titled Going the Distance, and then ending up grinning with joy in a complete u-turn while Charlie Day makes me giggle and Drew Barrymore redeems herself following the utterly awful Whip It.
The point is - there is absolutely no way that I would have seen these films if it hadn’t have been for my cine-pass. Granted, I’ve also seen a lot of crap. But the joy of being a cinema regular is in challenging your trailer-influenced impressions. Posters on the sides of busses can only reveal so much.
So PLEASE - ! - Just give me it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment